Spotlighting Parks Design and Innovation
Through the Next Generation of Parks™ Lecture Series, we invite global design innovators and local thought-leaders showcase the most exciting new parks destinations and delve into important issues affecting our vibrant city and region.
- Gil Penalosa, Founder and Chair of the Board, 8 80 Cities
- Roger Cummings, Co-Founder & Creative Director, Juxtaposition Arts, Cameron Downey, JXTA Student, Tom Fisher, Dayton Hudson Land Grant Chair and Director, University of Minnesota Metropolitan Design Center, and Kristine Miller, Professor and Department Head, University of Minnesota Department of Landscape Architecture
- Kate Orff, Founder & Principal, SCAPE Landscape Design, and 2014 Buckminster Fuller Institute Challenge winner
About the Lecture Series
In 2010, the Minneapolis Parks Foundation helped jumpstart a conversation about parks design and city-building with our first Next Generation of Parks™ Lecture Series, hosting landscape designers and park advocates whose work includes The High Line in New York and London’s Green Grid. We have produced a lecture series nearly every year since, always with the goal of demystifying the impact of great design – inspiring thousands to be champions for dynamic, vibrant public space in Minneapolis and throughout the region.
- Adriaan Geuze, WEST 8
- Eelco Hooftman, GROSS.MAX
- Jamie Dean, principal designer and program manager of London’s Green Grid
- Robert Hammond, President of Friends of the High Line, and Lisa Tziona Switkin, of James Corner Field Operations and primary designer of New York City’s High Line
- Laurie Olin, a distinguished teacher, author and founding principal of OLIN, one of America’s leading landscape architecture firms
- Tom Leader of Tom Leader Studio and Sheila Kennedy of KVA Architects, designers of RiverFirst, the winning proposal for the Minneapolis Riverfront Design Competition.
The Next Generation of Parks™ Lecture Series has been proudly co-presented with significant contribution from these partners: