Job Opportunity: Business and Administration Manager
March 1, 2016 by Janette Law
The Minneapolis Parks Foundation (MPF) ensures the economic, environmental, civic, cultural, and physical health and well being of Minneapolis and the region by creating the next generation of parks that meets the demands and reflects the values of our generation and those to follow.
MPF seeks a Business Manager to administer our day-to-day business and finance operations, manage vendor relationships, facilitate employee benefits and insurance, manage organizational systems, and provide administrative support for the Executive Director and Board. This position is part-time with benefits, with the possibility of full time to include expanded administration duties.
The Business Manager is an integral member of a small, action-oriented staff. Reporting to the Executive Director and working with members of the Finance and other Board committees and accountant, the Business Manager is a problem solver who will play a vital role in overseeing our financial operations, ensuring MPF remains on a sound financial and organizational footing.
The successful candidate will be motivated, entrepreneurial and willing to take ownership of critical duties and outcomes. Candidate must have an attention to detail, strong writing skills, experience working in a nonprofit environment, and be committed to MPF’s mission.
MPF is an equal employment opportunity employer and does not discriminate against employees or job applicants on the basis of race, religion, color, sex, age, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, marital, family, or veteran status, or any other status or condition protected by applicable state or federal laws. MPF is committed to recruiting and hiring qualified individuals without regard to protected status and encourages minorities, women, individuals with disabilities, and veterans to apply for open positions.
Business and Finance
- Support Executive Director on all finance and administrative matters
- Manage all bank transactions and invoices in a timely manner
- Manage monthly reconciliation between QuickBooks, Salesforce and bank accounts
- Work closely with contract accountant to ensure accurate and timely tracking of all finances
- Assemble and report financials as requested by Executive Director
- Support monthly budgeting and P&L reporting
- Produce state and federal filings
- Plan, prepare, and execute all schedules required for the annual audit and 990 Tax return in coordination with accountant and CPA firm
- Support human resource activities such as hiring, performance evaluations, benefit planning and reporting
- Process bi-monthly payroll and employee expenses for staff
- Ensure the security of the donor and finance systems, perform routine backups, obtain and keep appropriate levels of software upgrades and maintenance.
- Collaborate with the Executive Director and staff to develop and design annual budgets
- Produce financial reports and budgets for grant proposals and reporting
- Perform general office duties: answer phones, manage mail, response to general email inquiries, maintain and order supplies, and other routine office duties
- Manage all vendor accounts
- Manage all IT needs, including troubleshooting, hardware and software upgrades and security standards
- Represent the office and coordinate with Minneapolis Park Board for any facility requests as they effect the operation of the office
- Assist Executive Director with Board scheduling, meeting materials and documentation
- Scribe meeting minutes for Board and committee meetings
- Consolidate business records annually – securing files according to approved retention plan including but not limited to Articles of Incorporation and amendments, By-Laws, minutes of the Board of Directors and Executive Committee, annual state and federal filings, audited financial statements and legal documents
- Study, evaluate and propose office and organizational efficiencies
- Provide advice and recommendations on organizational policies, procedures and guidelines
- Provide additional administrative support to Executive Director as needed
- Bachelor’s degree or higher preferred
- At least three years managing finances and business operations for a small to mid-sized nonprofit
- Experience with QuickBooks or other advanced accounting software
- Understanding of Salesforce or other similar donor database/CRM software
- Understanding of basic office software including Excel, Word and PowerPoint
- Familiar with Apple-based systems
- Experience creating financial reports for grant proposals and Board reports
- Strong organizational and communication (written and oral) skills
- Strong knowledge of nonprofit governance and finance policies
- Attention to detail and accuracy
- Willingness to adapt to meet the needs of a small organization
- May need to work some nights and/or weekends for meetings or special events
- Highest professional standards
Salary is dependent on experience. We are looking for the right person for our team who can meet the goals of this position. We can accommodate a flexible schedule for the right person. If this sounds like an opportunity you have been waiting for, please send a cover letter, resume, three references and salary preferences to email@example.com. MPF will accept applications until the position is filled.
Employment is contingent upon a satisfactory background check. A satisfactory background check includes the absence of a criminal record that bears a demonstrable relationship to the applicant/employee’s suitability to perform the required duties and responsibilities of the position.