Volunteer Opportunity: Minneapolis Parks Library Steward
September 25, 2019 by Madeleine Koski
We’re working with the Minneapolis Park and Recreation Board to recruit volunteer library stewards to help with the care and management of Little Free Libraries within Minneapolis Parks. Established in 2017, there are now more than 50 free lending libraries located throughout Minneapolis Parks, either in or near recreation and community centers, and they are waiting for you!
These free libraries are “take one, leave one” free book exchanges. Stocked from book donations, park visitors can drop by any of these Minneapolis recreation or community centers and discover new stories to captivate their imagination and expand their horizon.
The Minneapolis Parks Foundation recently donated over 1,000 books to lending libraries all across Minneapolis Parks. With large book donations coming in, the recreation centers in each of these parks are in need of community-focused stewards to keep these libraries stocked and in good condition for the public to enjoy.
As a steward, you would:
- Make sure your library is orderly, in good repair, fun and interesting.
- Perform light maintenance on the library and if not able to, seek help from park staff or another library steward.
- Stamp books with “Not for Sale, Please Circulate in Little Libraries” stamper.
- Communicate with your park staff, neighbors and other library users to get participation, advice, and ideas.
- Protect the integrity of the library itself, its contents and the overall mission of Little Free Library, Minneapolis Park Board, and the Minneapolis Parks Foundation.
- Be aware of opportunities to promote reading and literacy. Participate on behalf of your library users whenever you can or find others who will.
Are you interested in joining our team as a volunteer library steward? Download this volunteer job description for all the information you need and a link to submit an application!