Through the Parks Foundation’s always-free Next Generation of Parks™ events, global design innovators and thought-leaders showcase the most exciting new parks destinations, opportunities, and research and delve into important issues of place affecting the Twin Cities community today.
Scenes from our 2021-2022 Season
February 5, 2022
Winter Hiking 101 with Ambreen Tariq
Minneapolis got reacquainted with Ambreen Tariq during this special two-park Next Generation of Parks. Ambreen is a an adventurer, author, and activist who discovered her love of the outdoors in Minnesota, and shared her storytelling and insights via a virtual morning program. That afternoon, we went Winter Hiking 101 at North Mississippi Regional Park. Thanks to everyone who joined us!
About Our Speaker
Abreen Tariq is an East Coast-based outdoorswoman with roots in Minnesota who’s dedicated to promoting greater diversity in our public lands through storytelling and the power of visual representation. She’s the author of Fatima’s Great Outdoors her first children’s book published by Penguin Random House. She’s also the co-founder of Muslim Outdoor, a former board member and now volunteer advisor of the Appalachian Trail Conservancy, and an Advisory Member of Sierra Club’s Outdoors For All Campaign. Her writing has been published in Outside magazine, and Ambreen has been profiled by the New York Times, NPR, SELF magazine, CNN Health, Elite Daily, and more.
Race, Place, and Representation
About: Kofi Boone, Tabitha Montgomery, and Paul Bauknight joined us for a conversation about the revolutionary work taking place around the country and here in Minneapolis to center BIPOC designers and communities in reshaping our public and civic spaces to be truly welcoming to all.
Kofi Boone – Joseph D. Moore Distinguished Professor and University Faculty Scholar in the Department of Landscape Architecture and Environmental Planning at North Carolina State University
Tabitha Montgomery – Executive Director, Powderhorn Park Neighborhood Association
Paul Bauknight – Project Implementation Director, Minneapolis Parks Foundation
Thank You to Our 2021-2022 Sponsors
Email Jennifer Downham at firstname.lastname@example.org
to learn more about sponsorship opportunities. Thank you!
About the Next Generation of Parks Event Series
In 2010, the Minneapolis Parks Foundation helped jump start a conversation about parks design and city-building with our first Next Generation of Parks™ Event Series, hosting landscape designers and park advocates whose work includes The High Line in New York and London’s Green Grid. We have produced a lecture series nearly every year since, always with the goal of demystifying the impact of great design – inspiring thousands to be champions for dynamic, vibrant public space in Minneapolis and throughout the region.
Series Videos 2010-2021
Past Presenters 2010-2020
- Sabina Ali, Co-Founder & Chair, Thorncliffe Park Women’s Committee
- Adam Regn Arvidson, author of Wild & Rare: Tracking Endangered Species in the Upper Midwest
- Gia Biagi, Principal of Urbanism, Studio Gang
- Monica Bryand, wildlife photographer and Executive Director of Urban Bird Collective
- Bruce Chamberlain, Minneapolis Parks Fellow, Minneapolis Parks Foundation
- Maurice Cox, Detroit City Planner
- Roger Cummings, Co-Founder & Creative Director, Juxtaposition Arts
- Jamie Dean, Principal Designer and Program Manager of London’s Green Grid
- Dudley Edmondson, wildlife photographer and author of Black & Brown Faces in America’s Wild Places
- Adriaan Geuze, WEST 8
- Robert Hammond, Friends of the High Line
- Eelco Hooftman, GROSS.MAX
- Mark Johnson, co-founder and principal, Civitas
- Janet Lansbury, parenting expert and author
- Tom Leader of Tom Leader Studio with Sheila Kennedy of KVA Architects
- Laurie Olin, founding principal of OLIN
- Kate Orff, Founder & Principal, SCAPE Landscape Design
- Gil Penalosa, Founder and Chair of the Board, 8 80 Cities
- Sean Sherman, Founder and CEO, The Sioux Chef
- Mitchell J. Silver, Commissioner, NYC Parks and Recreation
- Dr. Marla Spivak, Founder, Spivak Honey Bee Lab, University of Minnesota
- Lisa Tziona Switkin, of James Corner Field Operations
- Dana Thompson, Co-owner & COO, The Sioux Chef
- Florence Williams, Journalist and author of The Nature Fix: How Nature Makes Us Happier, Healthier and More Creative
- Lily Yeh, Founder, Barefoot Artists
- Dr. Robert Zarr, Park Rx America