Through the Parks Foundation’s always-free Next Generation of Parks™ events, global design innovators and thought-leaders showcase the most exciting new parks destinations and delve into important issues of place affecting the Twin Cities community today.
2018-2019 Next Generation of Parks™ Season
March 21, 2019
7:00-8:30 • Walker Art Center
Friends of The High Line
Nine years after his first Next Generation of Parks™ talk at the Walker about New York City’s High Line Park, Robert Hammond will reflect on the innovative park’s phenomenal story, including its impact on the community and how the High Line experience is influencing prominent adaptive reuse projects from Atlanta to Los Angeles. Parks are proven economic engines – Minneapolis’s own Central Riverfront is a case in point – and as communities make critical investments in vibrant public spaces, Hammond champions an approach that seeks equitable outcomes for everyone.
This event is produced in partnership with the Walker Art Center.
Tickets available at the Walker the night of the event
ABOUT ROBERT HAMMOND
Robert Hammond is the Co-Founder and Executive Director of Friends of the High Line, a nonprofit conservancy that he co-founded with Joshua David in 1999. Friends of the High Line raises 98% of the High Line’s $14-million-dollar annual operating budget to maintain, operate, and program the park. To date, Friends of the High Line has raised over $300 million in public and private funding.
With more than 7.6 million visitors annually, the High Line is one of New York City’s top destinations. It offers more than 400 free public programs each year and has presented works by more than 120 artists.
More From Our 2018-2019 Series
Audio and video from Florence Williams’ Nov. 15, 2018, talk on The Nature Fix will be available soon. Check back for additional event details and registration links as they become available. Or, sign up for our newsletter and get the updates delivered to your inbox.
May 7, 2019
DR. ROBERT ZARR, MD, MPH
Founder & Medical Director, Park Rx America
Become a Next Gen Sponsor
Our audience is forward-thinking and engaged. Find out how you can connect with them through sponsorship. Contact Jennifer Downham at email@example.com or 612.822.3401.
Download our 2018-2018 Next Gen Sponsorship One Sheet
Explore Our 2017-2018 Series
Last season we welcomed Gia Biagi, Lily Yeh, Bruce Chamberlain, and Sabina Ali. Their work in the Twin Cities and beyond has brought together communities in inspiring ways. Catch up on what you may have missed by watching the videos, below, with Lily Yeh and Sabina Ali’s videos coming soon.
You can also view video from previous Next Generation of Parks™ events on our Videos page.
About the Event Series
In 2010, the Minneapolis Parks Foundation helped jumpstart a conversation about parks design and city-building with our first Next Generation of Parks™ Event Series, hosting landscape designers and park advocates whose work includes The High Line in New York and London’s Green Grid. We have produced a lecture series nearly every year since, always with the goal of demystifying the impact of great design – inspiring thousands to be champions for dynamic, vibrant public space in Minneapolis and throughout the region.
Past Presentations, 2010-2018
- Sabina Ali, Co-Founder & Chair, Thorncliffe Park Women’s Committee
- Leila Araghian, Architect & Designer, Tabiat “Nature” Bridge
- Gia Biagi, Principal of Urbanism, Studio Gang
- Bruce Chamberlain, Minneapolis Parks Fellow, Minneapolis Parks Foundation
- Maurice Cox, Detroit City Planner
- Roger Cummings, Co-Founder & Creative Director, Juxtaposition Arts
- Jamie Dean, Principal Designer and Program Manager of London’s Green Grid
- Adriaan Geuze, WEST 8
- Robert Hammond, President of Friends of the High Line, with Lisa Tziona Switkin, of James Corner Field Operations
- Eelco Hooftman, GROSS.MAX
- Mark Johnson, co-founder and principal, Civitas
- Janet Lansbury, parenting expert and author
- Tom Leader of Tom Leader Studio with Sheila Kennedy of KVA Architects
- Laurie Olin, founding principal of OLIN
- Kate Orff, Founder & Principal, SCAPE Landscape Design
- Gil Penalosa, Founder and Chair of the Board, 8 80 Cities
- Florence Williams, Journalist and author of The Nature Fix: How Nature Makes Us Happier, Healthier and More Creative
- Lily Yeh, Founder, Barefoot Artists