Through the Parks Foundation’s always-free Next Generation of Parks™ events, global design innovators and thought-leaders showcase the most exciting new parks destinations and delve into important issues of place affecting the Twin Cities community today.
2019-2020 Next Generation of Parks™ Events
Join us for our
Parks & Pollinators
Dr. Marla Spivak
MacArthur Fellow & Founder, Spivak Honey Bee Lab,
University of Minnesota
Thursday, February 27, 2020
Walker Art Center
Dr. Marla Spivak is a MacArthur Fellow and McKnight Distinguished Professor in Entomology at the University of Minnesota. Her research efforts focus on protecting and enhancing the health and diversity of bees. and propagating floral rich and pesticide-free landscapes to support pollinators.
ASLA-MN Professional Development Hours
The Minnesota Board does not pre-approve courses and activities, however to the best of our knowledge this course/activity meets the continuing education requirements outlined in MN Statute 326.107. Final discretion is up to the Board.
More from the 2019-2020 Season
Save the date for the final event in our 10th Anniversary season:
THURSDAY, MAY 7, 2020 • Time & located TBA
Dr. Craig L. Wilkins, Architect & Planner, The Wilkins Project & University of Michigan
Video from our October 2019 opening night event featuring NYC Parks Commissioner Mitchell J. Silver will coming soon. Be sure to sign up for our newsletter so you’ll know when it becomes available.
Become a Next Gen Sponsor
Our audience is forward-thinking and engaged. Find out how you can connect with them through sponsorship. Contact Jennifer Downham at email@example.com or 612.822.3401.
To catch up on what you might have missed from past seasons – or want to see again – please visit our Vimeo or YouTube channels. Or explore a range of our video content by visiting our videos page. Please note that video is not available from all talks.
About the Event Series
In 2010, the Minneapolis Parks Foundation helped jumpstart a conversation about parks design and city-building with our first Next Generation of Parks™ Event Series, hosting landscape designers and park advocates whose work includes The High Line in New York and London’s Green Grid. We have produced a lecture series nearly every year since, always with the goal of demystifying the impact of great design – inspiring thousands to be champions for dynamic, vibrant public space in Minneapolis and throughout the region.
Past Presentations, 2010-2019
- Sabina Ali, Co-Founder & Chair, Thorncliffe Park Women’s Committee
- Leila Araghian, Architect & Designer, Tabiat “Nature” Bridge
- Gia Biagi, Principal of Urbanism, Studio Gang
- Bruce Chamberlain, Minneapolis Parks Fellow, Minneapolis Parks Foundation
- Maurice Cox, Detroit City Planner
- Roger Cummings, Co-Founder & Creative Director, Juxtaposition Arts
- Jamie Dean, Principal Designer and Program Manager of London’s Green Grid
- Adriaan Geuze, WEST 8
- Robert Hammond, Friends of the High Line
- Eelco Hooftman, GROSS.MAX
- Mark Johnson, co-founder and principal, Civitas
- Janet Lansbury, parenting expert and author
- Tom Leader of Tom Leader Studio with Sheila Kennedy of KVA Architects
- Laurie Olin, founding principal of OLIN
- Kate Orff, Founder & Principal, SCAPE Landscape Design
- Gil Penalosa, Founder and Chair of the Board, 8 80 Cities
- Lisa Tziona Switkin, of James Corner Field Operations
- Florence Williams, Journalist and author of The Nature Fix: How Nature Makes Us Happier, Healthier and More Creative
- Lily Yeh, Founder, Barefoot Artists
- Dr. Robert Zarr, Park Rx America